A wedding licence shows the individual doing your wedding (the marriage officiant) which you have actually met most of the appropriate demands to be hitched in Alberta.
Alberta wedding licences can be found from the registry agent workplace.
A registry representative problems a 2-part document. The top component is a Registration of Marriage therefore the bottom level could be the wedding licence.
The document that is fullenrollment of Marriage/Marriage Licence) must certanly be directed at the marriage officiant which is doing your wedding. This can be a appropriate document and needs to be held in good shape and never folded since it is completely archived.
Conditions for a wedding
Banns (postings or notices in a church) are not appropriate as opposed to a wedding licence.
There aren’t any residency or citizenship needs.
There’s absolutely no right time frame that have to pass involving the date a couple arrives in Alberta therefore the date a wedding licence is released.
Blood tests are not necessary.
A married relationship licence is legitimate for three months through the date it really is given.
A marriage might take position the day that is same wedding licence is given. There isn’t any waiting time.
An Alberta marriage licence is just legitimate for an Alberta wedding. The marriage has to take destination in Alberta.
If you should be presently married, you simply cannot make an application for an Alberta wedding licence.
Whenever having the wedding licence, you need to:
- Use together during the registry representative workplace
- Some exceptions may use, talk to a registry representative for details
- Swear/affirm more than one affidavits
- It really is an offence to swear/affirm a false affidavit
- Offer your private information, and the total names and delivery places of the moms and dads (including a parent’s maiden name)
When getting a married relationship licence, you simply can’t:
- Be under the influence of a alcohol or drug
- Be linked to each other as being a grandparent, parent, kid, sibling or grandchild, by whole bloodstream, half bloodstream or adoption
- Either individual getting married is hearing, message or aesthetically weakened
- Either individual getting hitched is an adult that is assisted a court ordered co-decision manufacturer or represented adult with a guardianship purchase
You both must certanly be 18 https://www.mail-order-bride.biz years old or older.
If you are more youthful than 18 years old, you can easily make an application for a wedding licence if all of your moms and dads and appropriate guardians permission into the wedding licence being given, unless other conditions use. Talk to a registry representative for complete details.
You cannot marry in Alberta if you are younger than 16 years old.
If one associated with few would not have appropriate ID, that person may possibly provide their delivery certification or immigration document – each other must have appropriate ID
You can’t be currently hitched (either to one another or some other person).
Your legal marital status must be among the after:
- Evidence of divorce proceedings will become necessary; the breakup document supplied should be the last document (for instance, Certificate of Divorce, Decree Absolute).
- A divorce proceedings document that claims a married relationship is dissolved in X period of time is certainly not appropriate as there is no way to learn in the event that last papers were filed or perhaps the divorce or separation had been contested throughout that time.
- Breakup documents that aren’t in English should be translated; seek the advice of a registry representative for translation needs.
- A death certification associated with dead partner is maybe not required.
- Never ever been hitched
- No status that is marital are expected.
Annulled wedding (through the court)
Whenever an annulment happens to be provided by way of a court, the individual’s marital status reverts returning to just just just what it absolutely was before that annulled wedding took place. The last status that is marital need to be proven. As an example:
- As soon as the marital status before the annulment is divorced, proof divorce or separation should be supplied as well as a duplicate for the court ordered annulment
- If the past marital status is never ever been hitched, just the court ordered annulment document will become necessary
Whenever a married relationship had been annulled, a duplicate of this court ordered annulment should be provided. Spiritual and tribunal annulments are perhaps maybe maybe not accepted, just court ordered annulments.
Annulment documents that aren’t in English must certanly be translated. Seek advice from a registry representative for interpretation needs.
Whenever getting a married relationship licence, each of this people that will be engaged and getting married should be proficient in English (since appropriate papers are being finalized), otherwise an interpreter is required. Whenever an interpreter will become necessary, it really is your duty to give you one.
The interpreter must certanly be:
- 18 yrs old or older
- Proficient both in English while the language translation that is requiring
As soon as the registry representative worker issuing the wedding licence is proficient within the other language, then that registry representative worker might function as the interpreter and issue the wedding licence.
The few obtaining a wedding licence cannot interpret/translate for every single other.
There clearly was a $40 federal federal government charge for the wedding licence.
Registry agents will charge solution cost. Provider charges differ among registry agents.
Just how to apply
Step One. Make sure you qualify to try to get a married relationship licence
The wedding should be place that is taking Alberta over the following three months.
Before you apply, be certain to as well as your spouse that is intended are.
Action 2. Gather your articles
Simply take your ID that is acceptable with to obtain the marriage licence.
Other papers may be required, such as for instance breakup documents. Contact a registry representative, they could verify exactly exactly what papers you will require.
Step 3. Visit the registry representative workplace
Head to a registry representative together with your spouse that is intended ID and papers, thereby applying for a married relationship licence.
Once you use
A wedding licence is granted as you wait.
If you don’t have got most of the given information and documents required, the procedure may be delayed.
Bring your marriage licence towards the ceremony and provide it to your wedding officiant.
Review the Registration of Marriage/Marriage Licence document extremely closely for mistakes whenever you will get it and just before leave the registry agent workplace. Always have mistakes corrected straight away.
Prior to the ceremony happens, mistakes are corrected by a registry representative.
Following the ceremony occurs, mistakes must certanly be corrected by an amendment.
The wedding officiant cannot correct any given information which was supplied if the marriage licence had been granted.
Relate solely to Alberta Essential Statistics:
Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, shut statutory holiday breaks) mobile: 780-427-7013 (Edmonton and area) Toll free: 310-0000 ahead of the telephone number (in Alberta) Fax: 780-422-4225
For the deaf or hard-of-hearing: TTY: 780-427-9999 (Edmonton and area) Toll free TTY: 1-800-232-7215 (in Alberta)
Mail: Essential Statistics P.O. Box 2023 Edmonton, Alberta T5J 4W7
Courier: Essential Statistics Document Reception John E. Brownlee Building 10365 97 Street Edmonton, Alberta T5J 5C5